The MXF container is not so widely accepted as MP4, QuickTime MOV, and M4V format, it is a self-contained format which is unacceptable to many editing software like Sony Vegas, Avid DNxHD, Adobe Premiere,etc. Though professional editing software like Final Cut Pro X support a range of MXF footage, but not all of them.
There are many users feedback they always meet MXF files got corrupted when they are trying to edit MXF files in FCP X on Mac. I believe there is much more problems on the forum. Though MXF is in the list of FCP X supported formats, MXF is a quite advanced container format after all, so it’s common that FCP X doesn’t deal with MXF files perfectly.
As the Mac users, you may wonder how to edit MXF on FCP X without any problems. To solve the incompatible problem, you need a Mac MXF Converter to transform your MXF recording to the ProRes formats that supported by Apple Fine Cut Pro X. >> Final Cut Pro Supported Video Formats for Editing.
Here I highly recommend MXF Converter for Mac. It is the most professional and easy-to-use MXF to FCP X Converter, which can convert your MXF files to FCP X compatible formats with the 6X faster conversion speed and best output quality on Mac. Also it offers you other functions like convert MXF to 3D video, define video/audio parameters, add video watermark, etc.
Below is a detailed guide on how to convert MXF to Final Cut Pro more compatible video format like convert MXF to Apple ProRes.
The trail-before-purchase is supported, just feel free to try it, it is 100% clean and safe:
Key Feature of MXF Converter for Mac:
1. Convert MXF to other videos
Powerful video converting software can help you convert MXF to MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, HD videos, MP3.
2. Support professional video editing software
Transcode MXF files to Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, Avid, etc.
3. Merge source MXF files
Join different source MXF videos together and output a single video. Then you can enjoy a long output movie.
4. Adjust output video effect
To customize the output profile, users can adjust the output Resolution, Bitrate, Frame Rate, Encoder, Channels, and Sample Rate.
Tips: The conversion speed is very fast because it supports batch conversion and NVIDIA CUDA & ATI Stream (AMD APP) acceleration technologies. It converts multiple video clips at the same time, moreover it can shut down computer after the process is complete, so run the app overnight and you could enjoy the created videos next morning when you are up.
If you are a Windows user, and in need of edit the MXF videos in Windows Movie Maker,Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS6/5/4/3, Adobe After Effects CC,etc. Please turn to MXF Converter for Windows.
How to Convert MXF Files to ProRes for Final Cut Pro?
Download and install MXF Converter on Mac (compatible with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.7 Lion, 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.5 Leopard and lower versions). The following two suggestions may be of some help to you:
When converting video to Final Cut Pro oriented format templates(e.g. Apple Prores), please ensure that your computer has Final Cut Pro installed, otherwise the converted files will have audio only without image.
If you are using FCP X, please make sure you have installed ProApps QuickTime Codecs, or you may get files with sound only without video.
1. Run this program, you will find the interface is very brief, this program is very easy to use, now please click add files button to import the MXF video files that you want to convert, you can add batch files at one time.
2. After you imported the MXF files, please choose a video format for output. To edit MXF files with FCP X smoothly, you will need to choose FCP native supported video format, just click the format bar and choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov), you can also choose Apple ProRes 4444 codec MOV format if you need higher quality.
Tips: Read the difference of ProRes.
• Apple ProRes 422 – Higher quality than Apple ProRes 422 (LT);
• Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) – Keep original video quality for editing in FCP;
• Apple ProRes 422 (LT) – Get a smaller file sizes than Apple ProRes 422;
• Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy) – SD levels – 480i/p and 576i/p. Used in offline workflows.
• Apple ProRes 4444 – Edit and finish 4:4:4 material.
Actually, different Apple ProRes codec corresponds to different needs. Here you can refer to this article “Differences among Apple ProRes codec“.
3. It is available to adjust the output parameters, press the settings button on the main interface and then adjust the resolution, bitrate, frame rate, etc. But if you are not good at it, you’d better use the default parameters, they will ensure you a good balance between file size and image quality basically.
4. When everything is done, you can take a preview by hitting “Play” button. If you are satisfied with the final result, you can click “Convert” button to finish the conversion work.
After finish converting MXF to Final Cut Pro video, simply import the converted MXF files to Final Cut Pro X for editing.